Sunday, April 10, 2011
National Colorectal Awareness Month
Yes, I realize that this is a really really catchy title, but just take a couple of moments to read this. March was National Colorectal Awareness Month (you probably already knew that), so this post is a little late. This information, however, is so important.....so please keep reading. Of all of the cancers that affect both men and women, colorectal cancer is the second leading killer in the United States. It is also one of the most preventable of all cancers. Studies show that if everyone over 50 years of age had a regular screening, then up to 60 percent of deaths from this form of cancer could be prevented. Now, if you're under 50, you may be jumping around with joy, but keep reading. You may not need a screening exam just yet, but you definitely know someone who could benefit from this information and I'm confident you'll find a way to work it into your next casual conversation. ("The high tides have been amazing this month -- while I've been walking on the beach, I've been thinking about colorectal cancer." I'm sure you can make it sound really natural.) For those of us in this glorious age bracket, a colonoscopy can reveal precancerous polyps, which can be removed to help prevent cancer from developing. The exam can also diagnose cancer in its very earliest stages, when treatment is much more likely to be effective. And you'll all be happy to know that a good friend of mine is having her colonoscopy next month. She can hardly wait.....to get it over with, that is. She knows that although the prep for the test is a little inconvenient (but think how clean and pure she'll be, inside at least), the test is essential. So talk with your physician about a colonoscopy. And if you're not in that age bracket yet (and we are so sorry for you, but don't worry, you will get there), talk with someone you love about how important this screening test is. Vicki
Labels:
Physical Health
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Vicki - thanks for your good colon advice. I'm done for 10 years.
ReplyDelete