Serves 6
Clean and rinse:
1 1/2 c. french green lentils (Du Puy is the best)
Cover lentils with 2-3 inches of water in a large pan
Add:
1-2 bay leaves
a few sprigs of fresh thyme
sprinkle with sea salt
Bring to a boil and turn down and simmer for 20-25 minutes
Meanwhile--Saute in 1 tlbs. coconut oil (or your favorite tasting oil):
1 carrot, peeled and finely diced
1/2 medium onion, peeled and finely diced
1 bulb of fennel rinsed and finely diced (this is the deal breaker -- so good!!!)
freshly ground pepper
Set vegetables aside
Rinse and drain lentils well and toss them in the vinaigrette with the cooked vegetables. Stir a few times to release steam. Remove bay leaves and thyme sprigs.
Vinaigrette:
1 tlbs. red wine or sherry vinegar
1/2 c. extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 tsp. dijon mustard
1 small shallot, peeled and minced
(I used Baker and Olive peach balsamic vinegar and 1/4 c. of Baker and Olive Persian lime oil instead of the red wine vinegar and olive oil listed above). I also would highly recommend to you a fabulous tasting aged balsamic vinegar from Lesley Elizabeth (which I purchased on line - it tastes like candy). I think I added about 1 tsp of that one too to this recipe.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
Sometimes I like to add the whole finished recipe to another soup or stew. (See our carrot pesto recipe posting). You can serve it with rice as well. Or -- Add some cooked chicken and make a meal of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment